Physiotherapy refers to a method of treating diseases, disorders, or injuries through physical methods. The most common forms of physiotherapy include body exercises, body manipulation, massage, and more, which are used in place of surgery or medication. Physiotherapy can help with aging issues as well as rehabilitation and recovery. It improves mobility and helps reduce pain. Physiotherapy offers natural healing methods to help you recover.
At Signature Health Clinic, serving the Portland area, including Raleigh Hills, Beaverton, West Sloper, and Tigard, OR, our experts offer physiotherapy. Our main goals are to reduce pain and restore normal body function in the event of a disease of a permanent injury. Physiotherapy helps ease or reduce the effects of the injury or disease, as well as improve your body’s range of motion.
Types of Physiotherapy
There are many different types of physiotherapy, all best suited to treat a specific type of injury or disease. The three main types of physiotherapy include:
- Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy: This type of physiotherapy is also known as orthopedic physiotherapy. It is a type of physiotherapy used for treating bone-related diseases or injuries such as arthritis, back pain, back and muscle strains, sprains, posture issues, bursitis, and incontinence. It also works best for post-surgery rehabilitation, especially for leg injuries.
- Cardiothoracic Physiotherapy: This type of physiotherapy is used for treating disorders of the cardio-respiratory system such as asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, among others.
- Neurological Physiotherapy: This type of physiotherapy is used for treating nervous system disorders such as spine injuries, brain injuries, stroke, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis. It is also recommended for post-brain surgery rehabilitation.
How Physiotherapy Works
The methods used in physiotherapy depend on the goals of the specific patient. We offer many different physiotherapy techniques. Our chiropractor will create a treatment plan for you using one or a combination of the following methods.
- Exercise Physiotherapy: This type of physiotherapy is best for muscle strengthening, cardiovascular stretching, training, and posture retraining. It is commonly used for post-surgery muscle and skeleton strengthening to boost movement and retain muscle strength.
- Manual Therapy: Manual therapy is a form of physiotherapy that incorporates spine mobilization, joint manipulation, manual resistance, stretching, and other forms of training to improve muscle healing.
- Electrotherapy: Electrotherapy is a physiotherapy technique that utilizes ultrasound, diathermy, laser therapy, and transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation, or TENS, to stimulate healing.
We also offer cold laser therapy, myofascial release, trigger point therapy, and more. You will likely need continuous physiotherapy sessions to get the desired results. Our experts want to help your body heal fully so that your condition does not return and you can live pain-free. We may suggest hot and cold therapy or exercises for you to do at home in addition to our physiotherapy methods.
Schedule an Appointment for Physiotherapy
Physiotherapy is one of the best forms of treatment, especially for sport players, active workers, and anyone recovering from an injury or other painful conditions. It allows you to get back to doing what you love most in no time. Physiotherapy offers natural, non-invasive methods for easing pain and healing.
At Signature Health Clinic, serving the Portland area, including Raleigh Hills, Beaverton, West Sloper, and Tigard, OR, our team of experts can help with any condition you suffer from. We will diagnose you and create a treatment plan that works for you and your condition. We may use physiotherapy in tandem with chiropractic care. Our goal is to treat the root cause of your pain and promote natural healing in your body. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us today.